New Year’s Day Tradition
1 lb. black-eyed peas
1 (32-oz.) box chicken broth
1 (14-oz) can petite diced tomatoes
6 slices bacon, cooked and sliced 1 cup diced ham
1/2 cup diced sweet onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. pepper
about ¼ tsp. salt (add to taste at the END of cooking time)
6-quart or larger slow cooker
- Start by soaking the black-eyed peas overnight in the slow cooker. Add water to cover plus a few inches more. Let the black-eyed peas soak for at least 8 hours (don’t turn on the slow cooker, just let them soak).
- In the morning drain the water.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, bacon, ham, onion, garlic, oregano and pepper. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours. Do not open the lid during the cooking time.
- Add salt to taste.
- For creamier beans stir and smash some of the beans. Serve with cornbread.
— from the Magical Slow Cooker